This blog is mostly about images. A photo captures a moment in time and lets us slow down long enough to see the rich texture of the life all around us. It's mostly for my own amusement, but if you stumbled here somehow, please enjoy.

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Lower Lights II

This shot returns me to a favorite thought, captured best in the hymn, "Let the Lower Lights Be Burning" and featured originally here.

I love a good lighthouse.  They come in all shapes and sizes and are often quite photogenic (more will appear here when I have a chance to travel with my digital camera to a suitable spot!).  But it's their purpose that is so interesting.  Silent sentinels warning sailors about the rocky shore lest they should become shipwrecked so near their destination.  Some people stand strong in our lives, their lights radiating in a way that just inspire us to live circumspectly.

But it's often the less noticeable examples that seem most noble to me.  This little guy isn't all that grand.  But our giant ship would have come to grief even on the tiny spit of land it marks had we sharpened our turn towards the port of Argostoli on Cephalonia, Greece.

No comments:

Post a Comment